Sunday, March 3, 2013

Nature as my Nurturer


"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul."

~ John Muir

Isn't it nice to just go outside and take a walk, or sit in a rocking chair on the front porch? The outdoors have always been comforting to me. There have been many times at night when I am trying to wind down and relax, that I will just go outside and stand in the driveway and look up at the stars. Looking up into the vast expanse of sky makes me feel like my problems and hurts start to get a little smaller.

My baby, who is now two, would sometimes get so upset and worked up when he was an infant that I would just bundle him up and go walk around the driveway at ten o'clock at night. There was just something about being outside that would calm him down right away, and it was such a nice distraction. I'm sure my neighbors probably looked out their windows and thought....Been there, done that. Ha! : )

So, give it a try. The next time you feel overwhelmed, just try to get outside for a few minutes. I hope this will be a comfort to you.


post signature

1 comment:

  1. Great tip! I forget how calming the outside can be and need to try this tip more. I guess it was easier when I was growing up because we lived in the country where there was so much open space. I always enjoyed a little walk outside or just sitting and reading on the porch. It definitely helps clear your mind, and I always feel inspired. :-)

    ReplyDelete